Friday 1 July 2016

To, Two and Too


To, Two and Too

Two is the number. In academic writing it is better to use the written form than to write the
numeral '2'.
When I looked in the tin, there were only two biscuits left.
Tim has only got two friends: Colin and Donald.
Two cars passed the building shortly before the explosion.
We were stopped by two angry-looking policemen.
Too is used with adverbs and adjectives in sentences like these:
English grammar is far too complicated for me.
I'm not buying this car; it is far too expensive.
The French speak too quickly for me to understand them completely.
The match was none too exciting until the final few minutes.
To is the most common of these three words. It has several different uses.
It is used with verbs in their infinitive form.
I think it is going to rain today.
Paul and Steve both had ambitions to become professional bowls players.
When I win the lottery, I would like to spend a year travelling the world.
There is no need to shout.
'To' is also used in the sense of 'towards'.
I walk to school every day.
Next month I am travelling to India and then to Thailand.
'Get to the back of the queue!' 

 ‘Are you going to the shops later on today?’

No comments:

Post a Comment